Friday, March 13, 2009

March Madness

I have no idea how the basketball tournaments are going -- my March Madness has more to do with having teenagers who can't seem to keep their rooms clean or make it to seminary on time. Come on, guys -- you were so much easier to control when you were little!! This free agency thing is getting completely out of hand now.

In all honesty, I love having teenagers. I love watching them, listening to them, trying to figure them out. Some days I think mine are hopelessly NOT ready for adulthood, while other days I am in awe of the people they are becoming. They are fun and funny and delightful. They are messy and moody and annoying. They put scratches on the car and tell us that it should have been worse and we should be so grateful. They leave all the lights on, forget to inform us of many things, and often forget to say thank you. They give me a hug unexpectedly, or leave me a nice note, or say "I love you" on their way out the door. They look like they're zoning out during scripture reading, but know all the answers when we ask them what we read. They tell me they're too busy to do something with me, but when the phone rings they are miraculously available for their friends. Sometimes they laugh with me, sometimes they laugh at me. They are sweet and helpful and grumpy and selfish. See? It's MADNESS. And not just in March.



5 comments:

Katy said...

hum...all the stages of motherhood fascinate me. I fear your stage as of now but I hope I will be ready for it when it hits me.

Karen said...

Oh, mother. This is Kristi, by the way. This picture is totally uncalled for. This is unfair and rude. I mean, really. I don't always look this good, and next to the picture of Brennan, I look like a model. If just for the sake of the self-esteems of those who see it, mother, please rethink your picture choice next time.
Haha -- just kidding. Love you!

Tracy said...

HahaHA, Kristi, you are as funny as that picture (which, by the way, the only thought I had when I saw was "WOW, she has THE prettiest eyes!! And quite the lips!")

Karen, again, with the twin family thing...with you as my 'what we'll be in a few short years if we're lucky' mentor family...I sense that this post is as honest as it gets. I just hope I'm as cool as you when it's my turn. And that my teenagers at least strike the same madness balance as yours'...instead of being total losers.

Tracy said...

Okay, I logged off and felt like I just called my kids potential teenage losers! Totally not what I meant. :)

Mirien said...

I wish I didn't know what you were talking about. How can I have two of them already? But it makes me feel better knowing that your teenagers have their moments, too. And next month, you'll have three!