Thursday, February 26, 2009

aw . . . sweet!

Okay, I can't help it. Anyone who is reading my blog also knows my sister Kathy. She is a sweetheart who wrote the following on my birthday:


If I had a blog (to continue our conversation) what would I write today? Hmmm.....

TODAY IS MY DEAR SISTER'S BIRTHDAY!

Karen Janine Lowe Shaffer is my wonderful sister. I love her with all of my heart. I have loved her since the day my mother brought her home from the hospital and she laid in her tiny bassinet in the darkened dining room. When I came home from school I would quietly step in to see her sleeping. When she got bigger, I loved playing with her even before she was old enough to know we were playing. I remember sitting in the cafeteria in 4th grade when a classmate asked me if I had a cat. I said, "No, why?" She said she thought I must have a cat because of the scratches on my face. I said, "No, that's just from my little sister."

When Karen grew older and could control her fingers better we did so much together. We played Spirograph, dipped Easter Eggs, and made wax fingernails from wrapped Gouda cheese at the kitchen table. We played card games and board games, and sang and danced to records in the living room. We took walks and rode our bikes in the neighborhood, raked leaves in the backyard, and reluctantly weeded the beans in the garden. We looked forward to watching Love Boat and Fantasy Island every Saturday night on TV.

Even though Karen and I were 8 years apart, I loved her like a friend. It was fun to take her to Taco Bueno or anywhere, but especially Taco Bueno. We also went to Lake Fairfax on hot summer days. Sometimes we'd stay up late on summer nights and eat orange popsicles and play Racko. Good times! I don't know why it was so fun, but it was.

When I went away to college I felt terrible homesickness. I hated to leave her at home. I thought about how lonely she must be, left, the last child at home, and how I hated to do that to her. It took a while, but somehow we both made the adjustment. As life does, it has seperated us and brought us back together several times. We still love being together, although we don't have the opportunity nearly enough. But because we have always been so close we are permanently a part of each other. Time and distance apart don't hurt so much. Our children even feel a special closeness to each other, which is precious to both of us.

I am so glad to have Karen forever. She is my sister and my friend. I am thankful for her and for our love for each other.

Happy 42nd birthday, Karen! You are so special to me! I love you and thank you for being such a great sister and friend. Have a wonderful day!

All my love,

Kathy


And here's a little blast from the past:

1 comment:

Karen said...

I have to leave my own comment because I forgot to mention it in the post. I love to tease Kathy about the last picture in that collage -- don't you think it clearly shows which child was mom's favorite??? hee hee