Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another year older and wiser(?) too . . .

February means that another year in my life has come and gone. And I'm wearing a new number -- 42. Excuse me, forty-two??? Does that sound weird to anyone besides me? Forty-two is middle-age, right? I thought so.

Something my mom said to me one time many years ago has taken on new meaning over the past few years. She said, "No matter how old I get, I just feel like ME." Now that may sound simple, but stop a moment and give that some thought. You will agree with me, I am certain, that it is actually a very profound statement.

I have been feeling so very blessed lately. No, every single thing in my life is not perfect, and I am certainly not perfect. But wow, I am incredibly blessed. One of the ways that I am not perfect is that I am very good at taking wonderful things for granted. Things that, if they were suddenly gone, would just rock my world to destruction. A few things off the top of my head: my husband, my children, my friends. My testimony. My extended family. Good health. Life in America. I have been blessed with so much, I occasionally worry that I am not doing enough with that stewardship. I like simplicity. I like time to think. I do not eagerly look for opportunities to complicate or busy my life beyond what is needful. So sometimes when I look around and see people doing amazing things with far-reaching effects, I wonder if I am missing the boat or being selfish. The things I do, I do fairly well. But perhaps I should stretch my circle of influence wider. Or become passionate for something outside my little world.

This post is getting weird, but like my wise sister Kathy mused, "who is the audience for a blog anyway?" Mostly just me, I think. So, weird it can be.


Snapping back into life at the moment, I will post a few basketball pictures. Don't ask me why, but I don't have a single one of Brennan playing varsity. Oh well, it was only a dream come true for him that I decided not to document. There's always next year. . . But somehow I did capture some of Austin's 7th grade season. His team ended up taking the league championship, so you can imagine it was some pretty good times.

Getting a pep talk:



Ready for action:



Tight defense!



Hey, we just won the championship!!



Go Eagles! This is a great bunch of boys, four of whom are LDS. How cool is that?




Now, like I said, I have no pictures of Brennan playing Varsity. He really did make the team, I promise. He has, however, asked me to put more exciting pictures of him on my blog (he must be 17), so okay, here's a good one from last summer:



And not to be forgotten, Kristi and Dallin still live here too. Dallin's playing community basketball, but to be honest it's all I can do to stay awake for his games, let alone snap too many pictures. But tonight Dallin will earn his Bear badge at the Blue & Gold Dinner, so here's a cub scout picture of him:



Kristi's driving up a storm in her cute sports car we call a Suburban, but no pictures of that either. So how about this one?



Hard to believe my beautiful baby girl is almost 16. I love Kristi!!


Okay, I need to get on my treadmill. I seriously ate leftover birthday cake for breakfast and the longer I sit here the more I am feeling it stick to my ribs (and hips and thighs).

4 comments:

Mirien said...

Three days after your birthday and you still have leftover cake? And you have boys around? Happy late birthday!

And I know what you mean about still feeling like yourself. Also, I'm starting to realize that when I was a teenager, my mom was actually quite young and she probably didn't know what she was doing sometimes. I had no idea back then! I'm sure my kids see me as old but I sure don't feel that way.

Have fun at the blue and gold. Did I mention that I am DONE with that? :)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Happy late birthday, Aunt Karen! You're funny. And I like reading your posts, so here's your audience.

merathon said...

i didn't think that post was weird! and kristi is driving? what??? how can that be?

Strollerblader said...

Oh, I loved that dress of Kristi's / Ellen's / Abbie's!! It's weird to see your kids so grown up!! They are always little in my mind, and then I'm surprised when I run into them in real life.