Monday, June 6, 2011

fanfare . . .

W h e w.

Thirteen years of pencil lead, eraser shavings, alarm clocks, heavy backpacks, overall diligent effort (and some occasional stress, blood, sweat and tears) culminated on Saturday with Kristi's high school graduation.

For a student like Kristi, I can barely describe how both proud and relieved we are that it's finally over. She is a combination of smart (i.e. she took honors and AP classes and did unbelievable volumes of homework year-round), social (i.e. she prioritized a little fun every day), somewhat disorganized (i.e. "I can't find my ______", or "I forgot to tell you about ______" or throwing in a load of laundry at midnight), and independant/stubborn (i.e. her work habits are her own - "I've got it under control!" or "Don't worry mom, just go to bed!"). We have been both exhausted and in awe watching her live her life.

Kristi's gown was bedazzled with her accomplishments. She wore a Nat'l Honor Society drape, and wore braided cords for student government, academic achievement and something else I can't remember. She graduated in a class of 419, but was one of only twenty who got to wear this:



I know you can't read it very well, but it says "Top Twenty". I think she got one B in her entire high school career (AP Calculus gave her a run for her money). She also decided to decorate her cap so that she could find it after she threw it in the air. And true to form, she can't do anything simply.

Here she is on her way to graduation on Saturday:


The Top Twenty marched in first, so she had a seat on the front row.


She performed the senior song with two other girls - Kristi on keyboard, one on guitar, and the third sang vocals.


Kristi had a great senior year. She has a thousand friends and was very involved, and so now that it's over, she is feeling some sadness along with the happiness and relief. She is looking greatly forward to college, but I think she will have many happy memories of her years growing up in Carson City.


And I'm not sure I've mentioned it here before -- after MUCH thought, stress, and prayer, Kristi decided to attend BYU-Idaho in the fall rather than BYU-Provo. This is not the decision she thought she would make, having wanted to attend Provo her whole life, but when the dust settled from the decision-making process, Idaho came out on top. And then the stress vanished. She is super excited and knows that great things lie in store for her there. And we couldn't be happier. Anything that begins with BYU makes us happy happy happy.

Kristi left yesterday for Disneyland and Huntington Beach with some friends for a senior trip, and I imagine she is having a wonderful time. CONGRATULATIONS, KRISTI!!! It's been an amazing ride.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm such a proud cousin right now!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

when did this happen??? Okay I am officially feeling old.

Strollerblader said...

You rock, Kristi! I can only hope such great things for my girls! Congratulations! I hope D-land was fantastic!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Kristi! She is so bright and beautiful and accomplished. I haven't forgotten to send her a note. I need to do that soon!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Congratulations!! Kristi does everything with flair-- what a fun idea to decorate her cap. Good choice with BYU-Idaho! She'll love it.