Friday, October 15, 2010

all in a day's work (and pictures!)

It was a day of contrasts at work today. Here's one end of the spectrum: I tutor a first-grader named Anthony and today his mom came to school during his tutoring time to meet me. She told me that she had to come meet Mrs. Shaffer because Anthony talks about me all the time at home and tells his mom that tutoring is his favorite part of his school day. She sat in on our tutoring session, raved about how much it is helping Anthony, and even brought me a pretty flower! It really perked me up because only an hour earlier . . . I had a tutoring session with another first-grader named Zackery.

Zackery likes to do things his way every day. Which is fine on some days because his ways coincide with my lesson plan for the day, but sadly for him, most days this is not the case. Even after lots of patience and cheerfully using all my tricks to help him get down to business, I had to take him back to class a little early after he drew in a book and then dumped a box of crayons on the floor instead of working. On the way back to class he was so frustrated with me that he declared, "You're fired!" Oh, Zack, if wishes were fishes.

So thanks for the flower, Anthony's mom! And T.G.I.F.!!

------------------

And now for some pictures:

Kristi bought a WIG for a leadership thing, and then this happened:


Explanation: Kristi is Kristi and Dallin is willing.

But I have no explanation for Austin.



Speaking of Austin, here is how he spent his summer:

practicing for football . . .


hiking Half-Dome at Yosemite with Brennan for a scout high-adventure trip:


dear old Dad made it too!



dizzying heights at the top . . .


Then it was rafting the Merced River:


and doing a little rock jumping:


And then climbing Boundary Peak (highest point in NV at 13,700ish)


Here's Brennan, opening his mission call!


Kentucky Lousville, WAHOO!


As for Kristi, she/we had a fun time at girls' camp:

Keith was a dancing fool with the other camp dads:


And I had the good fortune of competing in a mullet contest:



But back to Kristi -- this is the picture of her that says it all:

Am I ready to face this all over again????? I'm not so sure.




4 comments:

Jeannine said...

Hahahaha please tell me you won the mullet contest...? Best. Picture. Ever.

merathon said...

LOVED seeing pics of all my cousins. can't believe kristi can be that old already-- gorgeous! and don't leave us hangin'... you won the contest, right?

Karen said...

Okay, a little misleading. I wasn't really in a contest -- just part of a skit. But clearly if it had been a contest, who could've competed with THAT?

Strollerblader said...

Dallin reminds me of that old "Old Navy" lady from a few years ago.

Austin looks totally like Ed Begley, Jr.

Brennan's got some guns!

Kristi looks SO gorgeous!!! And it's also one of those pictures that will be timeless/ageless, rather than one she'll look back on 20 years from now and cringe because of her huge bangs, frosty-white stick on nails, train-themed cardigan, and permed hair -- not that I personally know anything about that.

If it *had* been a mullet contest, then you would have won "Sparkliest and Curliest Mullet." You know, you can get that picture made into a poster for like $17 at Costco. I still really think that'd be awesome.