Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The End of Summer

Wow, the house is quiet! Today is the third day of school and I miss my kids. So far the school year has begun with smiles all around, but the workload hasn't hit yet, so we'll see!

We had a great summer, beginning with a wonderful family trip to Idaho. Despite the cold temps and even snow flurries in Rexburg (in June!), we all had a fabulous time. Of course we didn't take enough pictures, but here are a few. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS.


This was taken at Mom's house in Sandy, Utah. We stopped in for a couple of days on our way to Idaho. Wake up, boys!


This was on the front steps of the cabin we rented between Ashton and St. Anthony, Idaho. We were right on a lake and enjoyed the fishing and the views. From there, we made day trips to Rexburg (BYU-Idaho), to Yellowstone National Park, and to Grand Teton National Park. We had a great time!


Some fish! I think Dallin looked this way because all he caught that day was this:




We enjoyed a wonderful (cold) hike in the Grand Tetons. We did the Jenny Lake Loop and it was beautiful!


This was taken at the 'famous' Bar J Chuckwagon Ranch, where we ate rustic food and were treated to a cowboy concert (along with 700 other folks). We had been hiking all afternoon in the Grand Tetons, so we look a little beat (or at least I did!)


We saw more buffalo in Yellowstone than we ever had before. Literally hundreds. We also saw elk, a fox, a brown bear AND a grizzly, and of course moose.


We almost got hypothermia while waiting for Old Faithful to do its thing. The kids weren't sure it was worth the wait, but at least now they can say they've seen it.


This was Austin getting serenaded at close-range from a performer at the Playmill Theater in West Yellowstone. The next picture shows how he felt about it. Doesn't his face say it all???



It was a fun vacation!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

This post leaves me with one question. What is UP with that guy's hair? You know, the one sitting next to you during the serenade? Is it real? Is he part of the cast? Did Keith get hair implants? I'm puzzled.

merathon said...

i love the picture with grandma-- kristi with her gorgeous "supermodel wind-blown hair look" and austin as the only boy with his eyes open!

welcome to the blogging world, karen!

Katy said...

ok...
seriously, I don't know if I can say this, but since I am only 'sort of' REAL family (no I mean I feel like real family, but biologically... not)
Your 2 oldest kids are... HOT!
Brennen is quite handsome... if I do say so myself. Very attractive.
And... Kristi is BEAUTIFUL!! REally, plus spunky...which I love... plus stylish and girly and outgoing. (and please do tell her I said so... maybe Brennen would prefer not to know what his cousins wife thinks.)

Tracy said...

HA hahaha ha. Ok, after reading your email, I looked again at that guy's hair. This made me laugh out loud. You're right, up close, he is, in fact, a she with fairly predictable hair. That is just really...strange. Thanks for the laugh this morning. :)