Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What does Easter mean to you?

Because we must need the blessings, our family was asked to "do the sacrament meeting" on Easter Sunday. Our older kids and Keith and I will be speaking, and the younger boys will be playing a piano duet. To go along with the many -and varied- thoughts bouncing around in my head about Easter and the Atonement, I wondered if any of you would like to share your thoughts on what Easter means to you.

And on another subject, wasn't conference uplifting?? Somehow I expected there to be a more serious tone, more messages about getting prepared, etc. But for me, I just felt like my understanding of certain things was expanded (Elder Holland's talk for example, wow), and I felt peaceful and not anxious. A favorite quote for me was from Pres. Monson: "The future is just as bright as our faith." Could it be any simpler?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Sigh for you guys! Brayden was just asked last night to speak in our Easter sacrament too. Hmm, come to think of it, with Brayden speaking and Rick singing in the choir and me accompanying...what will become of my littler ones? I'd better figure that one out! Good luck on Sunday, I'm sure you guys will be great.

Tracy said...

P.S. DITTO on conference! That's a great way to describe the way I felt too.

Rachel Sorber said...

How special that your whole family will get to participate! I've just been teaching my girls about the last week of Jesus' life this morning, and talking about what it means to have a resurrected body. With Dexter's passing and Conference, I've just been marveling at the meaning of the resurrection, and how many things it will affect--not only our bodies but our relationships and our ability to progress. Not to mention all that the Atonement itself means for each of us. I have a lot to learn, but I'm grateful for the Savior, that's for sure! Good luck this weekend! :)

Mirien said...

I'm glad it's you and not us! Each year I try to work on making Easter a little more Christ-focused and less about eggs and new dresses. Like Rachel said, it's more poignant this year because of Dexter, and we've had some great conversations with our kids about that. I'll never forget little Elodie at the gravesite in her perky voice, "Bye-bye, Dexter! We'll see you in Heaven!" and "Mom, Jesus is holding Dexter now."
And as for conference, I couldn't believe how many talks seemed to focus on faith and having hope despite adversity. Like Elder Scott's experience losing two of his children. And temple work! Lots about that, too.